Northfield's history -
The Bell and Bluebell Inn at the junction of Bell Lane and Bell Holloway was a coaching station for stagecoach travellers until a new Bell Inn was built in 1803. This was again demolished and rebuilt in the 1990s but this new building didn’t continue as a pub for long and today it is the British Heart Foundation furniture shop.
The Great Stone Inn is named after a giant boulder that was dropped by the ice as it retreated during the Ice Age over 10,000 years ago. The stone is now housed in the 17th century pound adjacent to the pub, a sandstone enclosure where stray animals were kept until their owners paid a fee to get them back.
A new style of public house was built in the suburbs during the 1920s and 1930s, many with gardens and bowling greens to encourage families to visit. This included the Traveller’s Rest (now demolished) and Black Horse Pub, with the latter designed to look like it has been on the site for hundreds of years.